Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Feliz Dia De Las Madres, !te extraño mucho mama!

Mayan word of the day..

T´zi: dog (Kaqchikel)

Mood: >:-P

Last weekend was Dia de Mas madres, and in honor la Alcaldesa (mayor of the town)surprised all mothers in S. Bartolo with a traveling Mariachi serenade. They did their rounds around town and arrived to my host mom´s home at about 7:45 AM.






At 8:00AM we had spanish class in my home until ten and then we went to Doña Dora´s home which is where Maggie, another Peace Corps trainee lives. Here they held a special mother´s day tribute by praying the rosary My town is very religious and they pray and celebrate every religious holiday. It was very interesting because they gave everyone peaches to be placed on the ground after every prayer. The peaches finally formed a rosary. It was very beautiful.







Later on that night a local campesino (farmer) came to my host mother´s home to help out with the Tastusa problem. A Tastusa is a form of Gopher or mole that is a big prob here in Guatemala, it eats at all the roots of the plants and trees and it is known to wipe out vegetation. The farmer placed his arm deep where the gopher dug the holes and placed roots full with poison to see if we could get rid of the problem and grow some vegetables.






Puppy for a day...
Last Sunday, I arrived home from Antigua and to my surprise my host mom showed me a puppy someone had given her, she was a mixed breed, but she was still very cute. She told me some neighbors had found the puppy lost in a ditch and did not want to leave it so they gave it to her. I was very excited because I had never had a pet in my life. Me and my host mom spoke about giving the puppy a Mayan name so the next day I went to PC training and reserched some names. When I arrived home my host mom gave me the bad news the puppy belonged to someone in the town and it´s owners were made aware Doña Violeta had the puppy. Unfortunatelly the owners came and picked up the puppy that afternoon. DAmmn!!








Here are some additional pictures...




The local cemetary.



Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Sunset from S. Bartolo Milpas Altas.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks like you are having fun.

How is the training?

Anonymous said...

Hi BABE! i finally checked your BLog, sorry i took so long. Well it looks beatiful and im glad your gaining so much knowledge and experience with this journey. Have fun and enjoy it. I love you

PS: Check my myspace i uploaded some graduation pictures