Monday, March 17, 2008

Applying for the Peace Corps

This is something I wrote on 1/14/08,


Current mood: adventurous

Category: inspired, Life


Well It has been over 2 years really the Idea came to me that maybe I should do more with my life besides the normalcy of living in New Jersey, So while I was desperatley looking for new employment and an escape from a monoutnous 9-5 working for the State of New Jersey's Child Protective service system, I came across the peace Corps. At first I did not apply but I did print out an application and worked on it for about one year. I held it off after I found a job with another counseling agency FIS. Like a cold that wont go away, the thought of the PC remained, I returned to filling out my PC application, only to find out it now had to be done on-line.

It is now january 14'th 2008 and I have since submitted my App and I was nominated a few days after an interview with my PC recruiter. It is something about PC volunteers that makes them different out of the rest. Is this what is driving me to become a volunteer? Think of it , A VOLUNTEER? That strange aura of Peace Corps Volunteers, who instead of thinking of themselves, are out to travel the world to spread their labor, help people, help children. They are idealists and humanitarians in every way. Maybe it is that part of me that needs to be fulfilled. It is a feeling that is unexplainable. I have considered my self unique in the sense that I am alone in this process. Think about it, WHO JOINS THE PEACE CORPS?, specially in Paterson? most of the people I know, either don't know what it is, might have heard of it, but have no interest in it. A lot of people who I have mentioned this to have showed a sense of admiration, but in general I do not like to talk about it, because when I have, many have looked at me like I have two heads..."Your going to work for free"?...Ha, Ha, I just chucled to myself ...

I am currently going through the medical, and dental part of the PC, They say 1 in 17 who apply get in. I've found out why many people do not get accepted, fisrt of all they drop out after they find out how dificult medical is.

Hopefully this year I will be that 1 out of 17.

Wish me luck.

Ney

No comments: